Lightweight Web Browsers
- The browser engine is Gecko. It supports MathML (Chrome or Safari does not).
- How to install, uninstall and update Firefox on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux
- How To Install The Latest Firefox (Non-ESR) On Debian 10 Buster (Stable) Or Bullseye (Testing)
Waterfox supports extensions from the Chrome Web Store, Firefox add-on store and the Opera Extensions store.
Chrome or Chromium
The browser engine is Blink
Install from ubuntu repository. sudo apt-get install chromium-browser To launch it, type chromium-browser.
Install the latest version of chromium.
sudo apt install curl git git clone https://github.com/scheib/chromium-latest-linux.git cd chromium-latest-linux ./update-and-run.sh # next time ./run.sh
Note that the chromium program is not in the global environment. That's why we use run.sh to launch chromium.
- From PC or Phone: Share -> Send To Your Devices
- From PC: Create a QR Code. Phone: Camera to scan the QR code
- From Phone: Create a QR Code file. PC: Use a Chrome extension (like QR Code Reader for Google Chrome™) or an online tool (eg 4qrcode, QRscanner) to scan the QR code.
chromium-browser --proxy-server="10.130.5.180:3128" chromium-browser --proxy-server="socks://localhost:4096" # Useful if we use "ssh -D"
Enable hardware acceleration
- check if your Chrome / Chromium browser uses hardware acceleration chrome://gpu
- force Chrome / Chromium to use hardware acceleration chrome://flags Search for "Override software rendering list", enable it and restart Chrome. This does not work. The update method is How To Enable Hardware Acceleration In Chromium On Ubuntu Or Linux Mint (VA-API Patched PPA Builds).
Edge has a pretty neat trick up its sleeve here—you can use the “Read Aloud” feature to have the entire article read aloud to you using natural sounding voices
To uninstall it in Ubuntu, first search the package name by dpkg --get-selections | grep edge. Then use sudo apt remove XXX to remove it.
Based on Chromium.
6 reasons to quit Chrome and switch to Vivaldi, the enthusiast’s browser. 1) Privacy and ad blocking, 2) The side panel, 3) Tabs 4) Built-in mail and calendar 5) Speed Dial 6) Bottom nav bar controls.
Block Ads and Tracking With Vivaldi's New Built-In Browser Settings April 2020. But the default does not enable the option: “Block ads and trackers”. After I select this option, it works.
A sidebar provides a place to quickly access your bookmarks, downloads, and history. Less standard is the built-in ability to write and save notes, also available in the sidebar.
While cool, Vivaldi is also a proprietary browser.
The proxy setting is not found in the latest version. To use it,
$ vivaldi --proxy-server="127.0.0.1:8118"
To uninstall it, open the package manager to remove it.
There are many unique/interesting features that are not available in other browsers.
- To search using google, type "g keyword". To search using bing, type "b keyword".
- To add a web panel, click the "+" sign and enter an URL. It's best the website is targeted for mobile devices like twitter.
- We can install any chrome extension; eg adblock. Just go to chrome store to search and add them.
- It has a built-in Note application.
- It can view two websites at the same time. Use shift key to select another tab(s) and right click selecting "Tilt 2 Tabs".
- Built-in mail, feed reader
Based on Chromium.
Like Chrome, Opera is closed source.
Ad blocking and Block Pop-ups are turned on. But it seems they are not working:( Tested on iOS.
There are browsers made specifically for Linux, and GNOME Web is the most mature of the bunch.
It looks and feels like a program intended to run on Linux.
Web lacks the kind of extensions you see on Chrome and Firefox (though ad-block does come built-in).
Eolie is another browser built specifically for GNOME.
The URL bar shows a site’s title rather than the web address.
Lacks the in-browser proxy (even version 0.57)
It is slow to scroll R code chunks of an HTML file obtained from kitting an R markdown book (macOS, version 1.0.1).
Test pages: How to Work with Scales in a ggplot2 in R
Brave browser can get past this stupid paywall.
Youtube site is not showing 1080p and higher resolution on ipad pro. Going to Setting > Playlist and disabling the “Web Compatibility” toggle worked for me.
Feedly is not loaded. If you click the brave icon at the end of the address bar you can disable some/all shields there. It works!
QupZilla is a new and very fast QtWebEngine browser. It aims to be a lightweight web browser available through all major platforms.
Wikipedia. Download: only Windows and Linux binaries are available.
When I tested Falkon-3.0.1.AppImage - for 64-bit Linux on Mint 18.3, it gives an error
10:39AM ~/Downloads$ ./Falkon-3.0.1.AppImage QApplication: invalid style override passed, ignoring it. Could not find QtWebEngineProcess
- Lynx User Guide
- What is Lynx, and how do I use it?
- How and why to use Lynx – the faster web browser
- g: go to some URL
- Up/down: up/down
- Left: back
- Right: follows a link
- Q: quit
- ?: help
- d: download the file on a link
- /: search forward. n: forward match. N: backward match.
- Ctrl-g: abort your connection to a slow or unresponsive link
- o: option screen
- If you want to always accept or reject cookies, edit ~/.lynxrc file to set accept_all_cookies=TRUE
- In one instance the html contains Chinese characters, w3m just give GC error. I need to close the terminal. However, lynx works well. sudo apt install lynx
- lynx supports mouse-selection while w3m does not (tested on Debian 11).
- Change the background color. How To Change Background Color In Lynx. sudo nano /etc/lynx/lynx.lss. Comment out the 2 lines
normal: normal: lightgray:black default: normal: white:black
It is available in NIH/Biowulf. Works well. It works better than lynx for displaying tables.
sudo apt install w3m w3m-img
- Shift-B will take you back a page.
- Shift-U and you’ll get an URL prompt.
- +/Space: Scroll down a page
- -: scroll up a page
- g: Jump to beginning
- G: Jump to end
- /,C-s Search forward
- ?,C-r Search backward
- n Search next
- N Search previous
- Shift-H to view the help page if you want to see a more complete list of keyboard shortcuts.
One cool thing is I can save a file that I can't do with the wget command (if I copy the download link from chrome Downloads), such as the bam file (look at the bottom of the webpage, Output this run in XXX format to Screen/File) from SRA repository.
- How to Hard Refresh Your Browser
- Refresh Webpage with Soft or Hard Reload in Web Browsers. As for hard refresh, it is a method to force the web browser to fetch all of the files again ignoring the expiration time and bypassing the local cache.
- What is hard refresh? How do you do a hard refresh in a browser? Once the chrome dev tools are open, just right click on the refresh button and a menu will drop down. This menu gives you the option of doing a
- Normal Reload
- Hard Reload
- Empty Cache and Hard Reload
- How to Clear Cache and Hard Reload Browsers
- How to do a hard refresh
- Ctrl/Cmd + F5/refresh button
- Shift + Ctr/Cmd + R
How to clear cache
- How to Use Your Browser's 'Reader Mode' to Actually Read What You Click
- How to Set Up and Manage the Read Aloud Feature in Microsoft Edge
- Internet Cookies for Beginners: What Are They and How Do They Work?
- Firefox: See the Storage tab.
- My automatic NYT crossword downloading script
- The 5 Best Cookie Editor Extensions for Google Chrome
How to Browse the Internet Anonymously
Anonymous Web Browsers That Are Completely Private
How to Disable the Pop-Up Blocker in Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Safari
Hidden browser games
How to Unlock Hidden Browser Games in Edge, Firefox and Chrome. Go to chrome://dino on chrome browser.
Browse the Web Without a Mouse
bing search glitch
Cursor moves to end of text when searching with Bing in Safari. The solution does not work:<