- The browser engine is Gecko. It supports MathML (Chrome or Safari does not).
- How to install, uninstall and update Firefox on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux
- How To Install The Latest Firefox (Non-ESR) On Debian 10 Buster (Stable) Or Bullseye (Testing)
Chrome or Chromium
The browser engine is Blink
Install from ubuntu repository. sudo apt-get install chromium-browser To launch it, type chromium-browser.
Install the latest version of chromium.
sudo apt install curl git git clone https://github.com/scheib/chromium-latest-linux.git cd chromium-latest-linux ./update-and-run.sh # next time ./run.sh
Note that the chromium program is not in the global environment. That's why we use run.sh to launch chromium.
chromium-browser --proxy-server="10.130.5.180:3128" chromium-browser --proxy-server="socks://localhost:4096" # Useful if we use "ssh -D"
Enable hardware acceleration
- check if your Chrome / Chromium browser uses hardware acceleration chrome://gpu
- force Chrome / Chromium to use hardware acceleration chrome://flags Search for "Override software rendering list", enable it and restart Chrome. This does not work. The update method is How To Enable Hardware Acceleration In Chromium On Ubuntu Or Linux Mint (VA-API Patched PPA Builds).
Based on Chromium.
Block Ads and Tracking With Vivaldi's New Built-In Browser Settings April 2020. But the default does not enable the option: “Block ads and trackers”. After I select this option, it works.
A sidebar provides a place to quickly access your bookmarks, downloads, and history. Less standard is the built-in ability to write and save notes, also available in the sidebar.
While cool, Vivaldi is also a proprietary browser.
The proxy setting is not found in the latest version. To use it,
$ vivaldi --proxy-server="127.0.0.1:8118"
To uninstall it, open the package manager to remove it.
There are many unique/interesting features that are not available in other browsers.
- To search using google, type "g keyword". To search using bing, type "b keyword".
- To add a web panel, click the "+" sign and enter an URL. It's best the website is targeted for mobile devices like twitter.
- We can install any chrome extension; eg adblock. Just go to chrome store to search and add them.
- It has a built-in Note application.
- It can view two websites at the same time. Use shift key to select another tab(s) and right click selecting "Tilt 2 Tabs".
Based on Chromium.
Like Chrome, Opera is closed source.
There are browsers made specifically for Linux, and GNOME Web is the most mature of the bunch.
It looks and feels like a program intended to run on Linux.
Web lacks the kind of extensions you see on Chrome and Firefox (though ad-block does come built-in).
Eolie is another browser built specifically for GNOME.
The URL bar shows a site’s title rather than the web address.
Brave - private, secure, support Chrome extensions
Lacks the in-browser proxy (even version 0.57)
It is slow to scroll R code chunks of an HTML file obtained from kitting an R markdown book (macOS, version 1.0.1).
Test pages: How to Work with Scales in a ggplot2 in R
QupZilla is a new and very fast QtWebEngine browser. It aims to be a lightweight web browser available through all major platforms.
Wikipedia. Download: only Windows and Linux binaries are available.
When I tested Falkon-3.0.1.AppImage - for 64-bit Linux on Mint 18.3, it gives an error
10:39AM ~/Downloads$ ./Falkon-3.0.1.AppImage QApplication: invalid style override passed, ignoring it. Could not find QtWebEngineProcess
- Lynx User Guide
- What is Lynx, and how do I use it?
- How and why to use Lynx – the faster web browser
- g: go to some URL
- Up/down: up/down
- Left: back
- Right: follows a link
- Q: quit
- ?: help
- d: download the file on a link
- /: search forward. n: forward match. N: backward match.
- Ctrl-g: abort your connection to a slow or unresponsive link
- o: option screen
- If you want to always accept or reject cookies, edit ~/.lynxrc file to set accept_all_cookies=TRUE
- In one instance the html contains Chinese characters, w3m just give GC error. I need to close the terminal. However, lynx works well. sudo apt install lynx
It is available in NIH/Biowulf. Works well. It works better than lynx for displaying tables.
sudo apt install w3m w3m-img
- Shift-B will take you back a page.
- Shift-U and you’ll get an URL prompt.
- +/Space: Scroll down a page
- -: scroll up a page
- g: Jump to beginning
- G: Jump to end
- Shift-H to view the help page if you want to see a more complete list of keyboard shortcuts.
One cool thing is I can save a file that I can't do with the wget command (if I copy the download link from chrome Downloads), such as the bam file (look at the bottom of the webpage, Output this run in XXX format to Screen/File) from SRA repository.
Shift + F5. This will force the web browser to discard what it already has in the cache and to download the latest version of the site.
- Firefox: See the Storage tab.
Hidden browser games
How to Unlock Hidden Browser Games in Edge, Firefox and Chrome. Go to chrome://dino on chrome browser.