What is UPnP
- Jellyfin also works with lots of clients including its own mobile apps.
- Jellyfin: Free Software Emby Media Server Fork Is Announced After Emby Becomes Proprietary
- How to Install Jellyfin Media Server with Nginx on Ubuntu 20.04
- How to Use Your Raspberry Pi 4 as a Jellyfin Streaming Media Center
PS3 Media Servver
It works even I use my phone to tether data (I don't need to turn on wifi on my phone).
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install minidlna sudo nano /etc/minidlna.conf # the default location of media files is on /var/lib/minidlna # rebuild the database. See the comments in <etc/minidlna.conf> sudo service minidlna force-reload sudo service minidlna start sudo update-rc.d minidlna defaults # ask minidlna to start up automatically upon boot.
Too bad is when I played certain videos the program crashed. The /var/log/syslog showed kernel: [96495.690373] minidlna: segfault at 0 ip 00007f4af2de9964 sp 00007fffa43014f8 error 4 in libc-2.15.so[7f4af2d54000+1b4000]. Also the minidlna process becomes 2 instead of 1 after the crash.
Too bad the Kodi's upnp function is not stable. Kodi server disappeared so the client cannot find it.
Decrypt and Rip DVDs With Handbrake
- How to Decrypt and Rip DVDs With Handbrake (Windows and macOS)
- HandBrake – Copy a DVD to MP4 or MKV file (Ubuntu)
This seems to be the best from my test.
- Do I need a Plex account to stream locally?
- How To Install Plex Media Server on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
- 5 Reasons Why You Don’t Actually Need a Plex Pass - live TV channels!
- Best media server from lifehacker.
- Kodi vs Plex from lifehacker.
- How to set up Plex (and Watch Your Movies on Any Device) from howtogeek.
- Plex is running as a service. After we use web to configure, we can close the website.
- Users needs to sign up/sign in before completing the installation
- Access the admin page by http://IP-address:32400/web
- If new files were added, it will update the library. To do that, go to settings and check automatically update.
- Soft links works.
- Iso file cannot be read. Use HandBrake to create m4v files from iso files (seems to be fast enough; e.g. 5 minutes for a DVD).
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stebbins/handbrake-releases sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install handbrake-gtk sudo apt-get install handbrake-cli
- How to Share Your Plex Media Library with Friends
- Plex Just Killed My Cable Box Rental, and It Could Kill Yours Too
- How to Turn Your Old Laptop Into a Plex Media Server
Subsonic media server
Airsonic media server
How to Install Airsonic Media Server on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. OpenJDK, Nginx,
Icecast 2 music server
- How to Install Icecast 2 Media Streaming Server on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS