Video editing in Linux
- Trelby - A free, multiplatform, feature-rich screenwriting program!
- http://www.linux-magazine.com/Issues/2015/171/Video-Editor-Roundup/(offset)/9 with a conclusion
- The 10 Best Video Editing Apps (2019)
- Hollywood-Grade Video Editor DaVinci Resolve 16 Beta Released
- Free Video Cutter LosslessCut Adds Multiple Cut Points, Video Merging Feature
Video Trimmer: A No-nonsense, Simple Video Trimming Application for Linux Desktop
Join two MKV files
Joining Two MKV files in Ubuntu? I use simpleScreenRecorder to create one mkv file. Then I want to append it so I record another short one. mkvmerge from mkvtoolnix works well.
Another suggestion that does not limit to mkv format is avidemux (cross platform).
Note MKV files are not supported by Chrome. To convert mkv files to mp4, use ffmpeg. ffmpeg -i dummy.mkv dummy.mp4 See How to Convert MKV to MP4 in Ubuntu Using FFmpeg. In my example, the mp4 format has a smaller file size compared to the mkv format.
It is a cross-platform open source software. See The best free video editing software: Great tools for YouTube stardom and more
I tested inserting a text in a video. Compared to Youtube video editor
- The text is really a text. No pop-up shape to select
- Not sure how to control the text so it only appears at a certain time interval
Not as intuitive to use.
Looks very professional too. Windows/Linux/OSX (binary files are provided). Worth to try.
More complicated than OpenShot. Worth to try. Ubuntu 16.04.1 is needed.
- Annotation and Title (Video Manager -> Videos -> Edit -> End screens and annotations -> Annotations -> Add annotations (Speech bubble, Note, Title, Spotlight, Label). However, the annotations do not show up on mobile. See this post for a discussion.
- Add photos
- Music cannot have fade in/out
- YouTube Kills Annotations Because Everyone Hates Them Mar 17, 2017
- Offline playback of Youtube videos and their annotations
- YouTube Annotations And Subtitles: What’s The Difference?
- Download Annotation or CC from Youtube & Subtitle Edit (free and open source software)
- Save YouTube Annotations to Srt (Subtitle) File for Offline Viewing of Videos (Part 2 of 2) & Convert youtube XML annotations to SRT
Best Video Editing Apps and Software for YouTube
- The Best Video Editing Apps and Software for YouTube
- Top 4 Best Free Video Editors for YouTube in 2022
7 Things You Need to Build a Low-Cost YouTube Studio
Free or Open source Subtitle editor
- Aegisub (Cross platform).
- Tutorials (video) A Timing Subtitles and a How to Hardsub / subtitle a video using XviD4PSP.
- Tutorial (text) How To Make Your Own Subtitles With Any Text Editor & Aegisub
- Attaching subtitles to video, How to save your video in Aegisub after subbing?, How do I put hard subtitles in a video with Aegisub?, Hardsub .ass file in a video with VLC, Hard sub with HandBrake, Hard sub with VirtualDub.
- Subtitle Editor (Linux)
- Amara (Online editor, used in professional films). How to Caption YouTube Videos with Amara
- Subtitle Edit (Windows)
For TV captions, use white color font with black color for borders and transparent background.
- It is easier and simpler than Kdenlive. Good for beginners.
- Better if the CPU is good and has more cores
- When merge audio and video, put video at the last track (i.e. audio first). See here on how to disable audio from the video track.
- How to Edit a Video in Linux With OpenShot 2.0 (11/19/2016)
- PC World (2011)
sudo apt-get install openshot
When I needed to export the video (choose 'youtube' profile, 'youtube-HD' target, 'HD 270, 29 .97 bps', and 'high' quality), I found I need to install libx264 code. On Ubuntu, I open software center and seach 'libavformat'. I choose 'libavformat-extra-53'.
An introduction to video editing in Openshot 2.0 from howtoforge.
Don't use the version (1.4.3 date 2009) because it crashed too often.
The new version 2.0.7 (date 2016) looks a little different (theme is black. Cool!). Its icon and command (openshot-qt) are different too. The project saved from 1.4.3 cannot be opened in 2.0.7. The tools icons are different: Add track, Snapping tool, Add Marker, Previous Marker, Next Marker, Zoom in/out.
This version of OpenShot + (old) Core2Duo Ubuntu = Dynamic Heatmap Viewer video.
You can download free music from Youtube Audio Library. If you use a copy righted music and upload your video to youtube, the video will show Ad eventually.
Take a snapshot
The keyboard shortcut Ctrl+d does not work.
One suggestion is to use VLC. VLC -> Video -> Take Snapshot. The snapshot will be automatically created in ~/Pictures/ directory (*.png format).
- Put audio and video files in one folder
- Use openshot to create a new video. Also
- Use the +/- sign for zoom in and zoom out
- Right click video file and select Volume -> Entire clip -> level 0%
- Right click audio and select Volume -> End of clip -> fade out (slow)
- openshot -> Save (arrow/download-like button)
- openshot -> Export (red circle button)
- Modify the file name so it won't overwrite the original (openshot won't check it)
- Select Profile = Web, Target=Youtube-HD, Video Profile=HD 1080p 25 fps, Quality=High.
- Check the exported video (play it first by VLC).
- On one instance the audio is fuzzy until the middle of the video. So I have to change the audio
- On another instance the video length is longer than I expected because the final annotation slide lasts too long. A solution is to change the setting (Profile=All Formats, Target=MP4 (h.264), Video Profile=HD 1080p 24 or 23.98 fps). If I use 25 fps, the file will be wrong.
- Upload to Youtube. Use Youtube video editor to include annotation.
Create videos from images, movie clips and music.
It is written in Python. Only Linux version is available (no Windows nor OS X). Good for beginners.
sudo apt-get install flowblade
Free and Pro versions are available. Windows/Linux/OSX.
- The 8 Best Free Video Converters for Linux
- How to Rip an Entire DVD to Your Hard Drive: 6 Simple Steps
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stebbins/handbrake-releases sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install handbrake-gtk sudo apt-get install handbrake-cli
To merge audio and video
# naive: use the one with longer duration as the total length avconv -i music.m4a -i input.mp4 -acodec aac -strict experimental output.mp4 # improved: specify the start time (-ss) and duration (-t) # unfortunately the music at the specified end time may not be the end # so a better way is to use a video editor (eg OpenShot) and specify fade out on the end of the audio! avconv -i music.m4a -i input.mp4 -acodec aac -strict experimental -ss 00:00:00 -t 00:01:01 -codec copy output.mp4
To extract audio only:
avconv -i INPUT.flv -codec copy -vn OUTPUT.mp4
Convert video to gifs
PC build for video editing
Frame rate, bit rate
Tips to Make Home Videos Look Professional
Video conference apps
- The 6 Best Free Video Conferencing Apps
- Top 10 open source tools for working from home
- Google meet
- The 10 Best Video Conferencing Apps for Linux
- Turn your presentation into a video
- How To Turn a Powerpoint Presentation Into a Video
- How to Create Social Media Videos With PowerPoint
- 8 Free Media Players That Support GPU Acceleration
- Meet Clapper: A Sleek Looking Linux Video Player for Minimalists. Clapper uses hardware acceleration by default.