Run from RAM
Dsitro DE/WM Pro Lubuntu LxQt/Openbox nothing special Slax NA/fluxbox very thin ito software
very clean itf interface
no installation option
live default pw: demo
iceWM/IceWM include many goodies:
Youtube video player
- List of Linux distributions that run from RAM
- Memory usage is 5.4GB according to System Monitor
- When I try to 'Power off' my USB drive through the 'Disks' utility. But I got an error that Device or resource is busy.
- If I forcefully pull out the USB drive, the whole live session is gone. So the conclusion is boot to ram is not fully supported.
- My experience with Ubuntu 20.04/22.04: press "e" and add toram just before or after "quiet splash" on line 4 (starting with linux) and then press F10. See screenshots.
setparams 'Ubuntu' set gfxpayload=keep linux /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/pressed/ubuntu.seed maybe-ubiquity toram quiet splash --- initrd /casper/initrd
- List of Linux distributions that run from RAM. Some based on Debian include antiX (#15), Knoppix (#73), Slax and Tails (#31) (ranking is by DistroWatch as Oct 2021). RAM usage is about 350MB except antiX uses only 125MB.
- For antiX/MX Linux, we need to add toram parameter to the option line on the boot screen (tested on antiX-19.4_x64-full.iso).
- First boot screen -> Use Legacy Kernel -> Normal Boot (but add "toram" to the Boot Options line at the bottom). So the boot options become "quiet splasht disable=1xF toram". Enter. It will show "Copy 1.33 GiB to RAM" on the screen (about 1 minute).
- I delete all partitions on HDD and add 2.0TB as "/". Then the installation can continue.
- After we see the desktop df -h should not reveal /dev/sda1 and it should only have tmpfs and /dev/loop0.
- I can remove the USB drive.
- To configure wifi, open antiX Control Centre -> Network -> WiFi Connect(Connman).
- Somehow, it can remember my identity so I don't need to go to wifi to reconnect. Interesting.
- What are the best Linux distros that run entirely in RAM?
- A screenshot of antiX-21 (taken from running in Proxmox, so the res is 1024 x 768/4:3)
Linux Distro for Your Cloud Server
How to Choose the Right Linux Distro for Your Cloud Server Fedora is the upstream source of Red Hat. CentOS is the downstream source of RHEL.
Debian derived distributions
- Kali Linux adds VM-like snapshot feature to bare-metal installs
- 4 Reasons Why Hackers Use Kali Linux
- Not even any web browser has been pre-installed. "We hope you enjoy - Everything you need & nothing you don't".
- A light-weight LXDE distribution for cloud applications
- In place of traditionally native applications for common tasks (word processing, image editing), it ships with the custom Ice application, which allows users to create site-specific browsers (SSB's).
- From my testing, favicon is not downloaded when I create an SSB for twitter in ICE:)
- Not impressed by the SSB idea.
Raspberry Pi OS
Red Hat derived distributions
LXQt version looks better than GNOME (the top menu does not show all opened apps!) and KDE (too heavy).
- Switching desktop environments
- How to Install Python 3.11 on Fedora 35
sudo dnf upgrade --refresh -y sudo dnf install dnf-plugins-core -y sudo dnf install python3.11 sudo dnf install python3-pip
- Fedora 33 launches with updated GNOME and BTRFS
Small/lightweight Linux distributions
- Install Linux to Save Space! These Tiny Linux Distros Are Super Small 10/10/2017
- 13 Lightweight Linux Distributions to Give Your Old PC a New Lease of Life 5/5/2017. Some distributions that can be run in RAM: Macpup, Porteus.
- 10 Best Lightweight Linux Distros For Old Computers | 2019
- 50+ Best Lightweight Linux Distros for 2020 (it includes a table for comparison), Best lightweight Linux distro of 2020
- 16 Best Lightweight Linux Distributions For Older Computers 2021
Make a Linux distro
See Live USB.